Trump plan to overhaul U.S. infrastructure faces steep hurdles

Trump budget will include money for border wall Mulvaney

Trump budget will include money for border wall Mulvaney

The official's description of the president's overall infrastructure plan closely tracked the draft version that was leaked last month, which also included PABs.

"The federal government plays a role" in infrastructure, "but we should move more heavily to state and local governments", he said.

Wall Street's main stock indexes climbed more than 1 percent on Friday, giving investors some solace after a week of huge swings that shook the market out of months of calm.

The allotted $200 billion comes from cuts within the impending White House budget, The Hill reported.

"This is a bait and switch, it's going to raise costs for state and local governments and ultimately the taxpayers", said Democratic Congresswoman Janice Schakowsky of IL on a call organized by the Congressional Progressive Caucus. Trump will highlight that proposal Monday in a meeting at the White House with state and local officials.

Loan programs at the U.S. Department of Transportation, as well as private activity bonds, would be expanded by $20 billion under the proposal, the official explained February 10.

"Are they going to be willing to have their taxes raised even more to leverage federal dollars for their state's infrastructure?". But the fund would match investments only up to $0.20 on the dollar at the maximum level of federal investment. "It could be anything", said one administration official.

"So the way the incentive program works is, come with revenue and come with a project, and your score is higher based upon the share of non-federal revenue that you have in your project", the official said. Federal funding would be capped at 20 percent of the overall cost of any given project, however, leaving cities and states responsible for raising the other 80 percent. "They held the Defense Department hostage, and we had to pay that ransom". "Well, because they've got a lot of skin in the game on the project".

More news: United Kingdom presses fraud charges against Barclays over Qatar loan
More news: North Koreans wrap up whirlwind of Olympic diplomacy
More news: Tamilisai, Vijayadharani welcome inauguration of Jaya's portrait in Assembly

Michael Pagano, dean of the College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs at the University of IL at Chicago, said the Trump administration attempt to leverage local government funds for infrastructure may not work because municipalities don't have the money.

Trump and members of his Cabinet will tour the country to point out where construction is needed - and where admirable projects have been accomplished, according to senior administration officials.

"We want to shorten the permitting process into two years", said the senior administration official, who said that the goal is also to preserve environmental protections as well. "For every decision that needs to be made, find the agency that has the best expertise in terms of making that decision, give them the authority to make that decision, and then have other agencies partner with them and execute on that decision that's been made", said White House official. "What we're saying to states is, we would like you to increase your investment in infrastructure".

Trump said on Twitter that it would be "a big week for Infrastructure".

"While we certainly aren't opposed to talking about Gateway, we're not going to start the discussion of rebuilding our entire nation with a single - albeit large - project, especially not one where 90 percent of the benefits go to local transit riders", a senior Trump administration official told The Post. The current permitting structure is overly concerned with preventing litigation and not enough on outcomes, the official said.

The plan would also increase workforce participation by extending Pell Grant eligibility to workers who want to receive technical training and lowering standards for professional licensing requirements and eligibility.

It will now be up to Congress to discuss the proposal and Trump will host lawmakers from both parties at the White House on Wednesday to make his case.

The Trump administration has questioned global warming and the president has called it a hoax.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.