Buhari assures Dapchi schoolgirls of security

FG says no ransom was paid for released Dapchi girls

FG says no ransom was paid for released Dapchi girls

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has said that security will be beefed up in schools to ensure the safety of teachers and students.

Garba Shehu, an aide to President Muhammadu Buhari, told dpa that the 11 to 19-year-old girls had been returned to Yobe state by Boko Haram militants and that they were receiving medical attention.

Though some critics of the Buhari-led administration say that the government had given something in return for the girls' release, the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed, said that "no ransom was paid".

The sister of one girl fainted Wednesday upon hearing that she was not among those freed.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) on Friday commended the Federal Government for being proactive in securing the release of the abducted girls from Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State.

This comes after the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Lawal Daura, had said that the social media and utterances of those with little knowledge on the matter nearly marred efforts to rescue the girls.

Reiterating his administration's commitment to the fight against terrorism and insurgency, Buhari urged all Nigerians to join in this task.

He said further that the negotiation strategy with the terrorists was effective as it aided release of the abducted schoolgirls unhurt. "Then Boko Haram said she should convert", the mother said.

Musa Kalla, the father of Zara Musa who was also abducted and brought back safely told our correspondent that, "no one can stop me to educate my daughter".

More news: Serena Williams loses in 1st round at Miami Open to Osaka
More news: Earth Hour 2018: UAE ready to switch off the lights
More news: WHO to provide support to African nations for listeriosis preparedness

Early Wednesday, militants from Boko Haram, the same group that snatched the girls, brought back 104 of them, handing them over to federal officials, according to the Nigerian government. In a radio interview he said he was happy that she had not renounced her faith.

Boko Haram released the girls just days after human rights advocates Amnesty International accused the Nigerian military of ignoring repeated advance warnings of the raid.

The group's spokesman, Yinka Odumakin, said, "We are getting uncomfortable with the way this government is getting close to Boko Haram".

A short statement signed by the school management of GGSTC Dapchi reads: "This is to inform the general public that GGSTC Dapchi SS3 students are hereby called to resume back to GG Nguru, on Monday 25/03/2018 in preparation for WAEC Examinations commencing 3/4/2018".

Again, Chief Femi Fani Kayode would add some pertinent questions following the release of 104 Dapchi school girls, calling for answers: "For example how do you explain the Ghana Must Go bags that the girls were carrying on their return?" We are ready to rehabilitate and integrate such repentant members into the larger society.

Nigeria's government has not commented on the fate of the six missing girls.

The kidnapping of 110 school girls from a Nigerian school in the northeast town of Dapchi on February 19 came to an abrupt and joyful end for most of the families 30 days later.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the freed students, Fatima Bashir, on behalf of the others thanked Buhari for saving their lives and bringing them out of captivity.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.