4 more boys brought out of flooded Thailand cave

Elon Musk shows off 'kid-sized submarine' he thinks can help in Thai cave rescue

Elon Musk shows off 'kid-sized submarine' he thinks can help in Thai cave rescue

It took nine hours Sunday to rescue the first two boys, who were described as the weakest of the group.

His first suggestion involved feeding a long tube through the cave system that could then be inflated with air "like a bouncy castle", allowing the boys to climb through it to safety.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha visited the cave to inspect the operation, with navy rescuers giving him a rousing cheer.

Reuters could not confirm the identity of the two people brought out in the evening and the chief of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn, asked about the two, declined to comment, saying a news conference would be held soon.

Four more boys were brought out of the flooded Thai cave they had been stranded in for more than two weeks on Monday, bringing the total to eight rescued over the past two days. "We can't visit our boys in hospital because they need to be monitored for 48 hours", Somboon told Reuters.

It took hours to place oxygen tanks and guide ropes along the narrow tunnel leading to the boys.

He was reportedly among the first extracted because he was in the worst conditions because he had given the boys his share of the group's meagre food supply before they were found. Relatives were able to see them through a glass partition, Narongsak said.

Four of the 12 boys trapped undeground along with an adult were pulled out by divers yesterday. All the boys were in good condition, Narongsak said.

Rescuers working at a cave site in northern Thailand brought at least one boy out of the flooded cave system Monday, according to a witness working with the rescue team.

The soccer team had been trapped in the underground cave network since June 23, with flash floods causing water levels to rise, making it hard to get out. A search led by Thai navy SEALs and joined by volunteer divers from around the world was fruitless until a pair of British divers came up on the hungry but apparently healthy team.

More news: 'Three Lions' storms to No. 1 in English charts
More news: Cormier and Miocic face off at ceremonial weigh-in ahead of UFC 226
More news: 'Worst fight ever': Fans mock UFC 226 co-main event

The divers also brought out touching notes for the families written by some of the trapped boys.

But rescuing the remaining five people, which includes the boys' 25-year-old soccer coach, could take more than one operation, Narongsak said.

"If everything turns out as we've expected, whether it be the weather or readiness of the rescue team, there should be nothing to worry about", Chalongchai said.

Among those are United States military partners, British cave diving experts - including the two men who first located the boys a week ago - and rescue workers from Australia, China and other countries.

The four who were rescued previously were taken to a hospital in Chiang Rai for evaluation.

Four of the boys were rescued on Sunday 8 July.

The extreme danger of the rescue effort was underscored last week when a former Thai Navy SEAL, Samarn Poonan, died after he fell unconscious while placing oxygen tanks deep inside the cave.

The cave complex is off-limits during the rainy season, which usually runs from May to October, when downpours can quickly flood it.

A green tarpaulin is used to cover the entrance of the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital, where the four rescued boys are being kept in quarantine.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.