Trump demands Saudis explain missing journalist

Trump demands Saudis explain missing journalist

Trump demands Saudis explain missing journalist

President Trump also discussed the disappearance with reporters at the White House Wednesday. Saudi Arabia has dismissed the allegations as "baseless".

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders added that the United States would continue to inquire about the fate of the journalist.

They urged Trump to consider any information in the investigation "including with respect to the highest ranking officials in the Government of Saudi Arabia".

"We are very very disturbed" by Khashoggi's disappearance", said Code Pink founder Meda Benjamin. "It's a bad thing".

On Monday, US President Donald Trump said he was "concerned" about the reports of Khashoggi's murder, following a much-derided period of silence from the White House.

Khashoggi, 59, was reportedly killed within two hours of arriving at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October.

As Corker suggested, the letter does indicate that the strengthening alliance between the Trump administration and the Saudi government may not preclude imposing sanctions.

The Daily Mail cited an anonymous "source close to the Saudi royals" who claimed that Khashoggi had been abducted and taken alive to the Saudi capital of Riyadh.

More news: Trump says Federal Reserve ‘has gone crazy’ after big stock drop
More news: Prince William Teases Kate Middleton About Her Painting
More news: Music surprising star of American Music Awards

Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday on conservative commentator Hugh Hewitt's show that the United States would send Federal Bureau of Investigation agents to the consulate to investigate if the Saudis requested it. The suggestion that this journalist, Mr. Khashoggi, was you know, was murdered should be deeply troubling to everyone that cares as a free and open press around the world. "I have to abide by whatever the courts decide", he said.

RSF, in a statement on its website, highlighted that "more than 15 journalists and bloggers have been arrested in a completely opaque manner in Saudi Arabia since September 2017". Trump heaped praise on Prince Mohammed when he made a three-week visit to the USA last March, saying the Saudi king had made a "very wise decision" in choosing the prince to succeed him. "Well, I have to find out who did it, but people saw him go in...but they didn't see come out, as they understand it and we're going to take a very serious look at it".

Fifty-nine-year-old Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor, has been missing since last Tuesday after entering the Saudi consulate to gather documents for marriage.

ISTANBUL-Turkish media published images Wednesday of an alleged 15-member Saudi "assassination squad" and video of suspicious movements at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul following journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance a week ago, putting new pressure on the kingdom amid growing worldwide concern for the writer.

Hatice Cengiz made the appeal in an opinion piece for The Washington Post newspaper, where Khashoggi was a columnist and an outspoken critic of some of Riyadh's policies.

But she also implored "President Trump and first lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal's disappearance".

One of the 15 Saudis identified by name and photo in the report by Sabah newspaper is a forensic expert who has worked at the Saudi Interior Ministry for 20 years, according to a LinkedIn profile and Saudi media, and serves on the board of the Saudi Society of Forensic Medicine.

Later, eight of the men checked into the Movenpick hotel near the consulate, with seven others checking into a nearby hotel, the Wyndham.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.