Chris Dawson's family 'disappointed' over arrest for murder of Lynette

Lynette Dawson went missing in 1982. Pic NSW Police Force

Lynette Dawson went missing in 1982. Pic NSW Police Force

Chris Dawson will be extradited to NSW over the suspected murder of his wife, Lynette, who disappeared from their Sydney home almost 37 years ago.

"That information enabled New South Wales Police to get an arrest warrant for a 70-year-old man now living in Queensland", Fuller told reporters Wednesday.

Journalist Hedley Thomas hosted the true-crime podcast "The Teacher's Pet", which investigated the disappearance of Lynette Dawson, an Australian woman who went missing in 1982.

The 36-year-old mystery concerns the disappearance of Lyn Dawson from her home on the Northern Beaches of Sydney in January 1982.

Just a few days later, he moved his schoolgirl lover into the family home.

"They were predominantly statements from witnesses that helped us to tie pieces of the puzzle together", he said.

Mr Dawson told Lynette's family that she needed time away, and he did not report her missing to police for nearly six weeks.

Police will use previous interviews they had conducted with Mr Dawson since his wife's disappearance as evidence in the case.

Detectives in September dug up the backyard at the Bayview home the couple shared in the early 1980s but did not find remains or items of interest.

Her brother, Greg Simms, said he was very emotional when told of Dawson's arrest.

Former Cromer High School teacher Dawson - the subject of popular podcast The Teacher's Pet - was taken to Southport where he will be charged, with NSW detectives to seek an extradition.

Commissioner Fuller said the investigation team have benefited from the work of the media.

Ms Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast
Image Lynette Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast

Dawson, a Newtown rugby league player in the early 1970s, has always been a suspect in the case but denies any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

He continues to maintain he had nothing to do with his wife's disappearance.

Lynette Dawson disappeared in 1982.

"That dig didn't provide any additional information, unfortunately, and, look, from our perspective we would have dearly loved to have found the body of Lynette Dawson not just for the brief of evidence but for her family", Fuller said.

His family said they were "disappointed" at the decision of the DPP.

"There is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and their daughters", the statement said.

"We have to also ensure Chris gets due process".

"We have sold homicide before without identifying the body", he continued.

"We are confident with the case", Supt Scott Cook told reporters on Wednesday.

New South Wales Police's Strike Force Scriven was established in 2015 to reinvestigate the case.

Mr Fuller on Wednesday declared "we certainly won't give up on that search" for Mrs Dawson's remains.

More news: Skype Adds Live Captions And Subtitles To Voice And Video Calls
More news: AgustaWestland Chopper Scam: Christian Michel Extradited To India
More news: Nationals sign free agent pitcher Patrick Corbin to 6-year, $140M deal

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.