Death toll rises in Istanbul building collapse

Experts from the Istanbul branch of the chamber of civil engineers who visited the site concluded that the “load-bearing columns had lost the capacity to carry the weight” of the building the group said in a statement Thursday

Experts from the Istanbul branch of the chamber of civil engineers who visited the site concluded that the “load-bearing columns had lost the capacity to carry the weight” of the building the group said in a statement Thursday

Experts from the Istanbul branch of the chamber of civil engineers who visited the site concluded that the "load-bearing columns had lost the capacity to carry the weight" of the building.

The death toll from the collapse of an apartment building in Istanbul rose to 21 on February 9, as President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said authorities have "lessons to learn" from the incident.

Erdogan, visiting the site on February 9, said: "We have a great number of lessons to learn from this". Suleyman Soylu said early Saturday that another body had been found in the rubble. He said rescuers had reached another person under the rubble, who was thought to be dead.

The cause of the tragedy is under investigation but officials have said the top three floors of the eight-story building were built illegally.

The seven-storey block in the Kartal district on the Asian side of the city collapsed on February 6 but the cause is not yet clear.

More news: United Kingdom and Switzerland strike post-Brexit continuity agreement
More news: Storm Erik 'weather bomb' blasts NI
More news: Old Phones, Laptops, Cameras to be Used to Make Tokyo 2020 Medals

Erdogan also visited a hospital where more than a dozen people are being treated.

Turkish media said three of the seven floors had been illegally built. They have criticized a government decision to grant amnesty for illegal construction a year ago ahead of the country's general election.

Authorities haven't disclosed how many people remain unaccounted for. Chief Doctor Recep Demirhan says that two are in very serious condition, according to Turkey's official Anadolu news agency.

Fourteen apartments, housing at least 43 occupants were registered at the site, the city's governor said this week.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.