Donald Trump, Congress set for Saudi Arabia showdown over Jamal Khashoggi killing

RYAD KRAMDI  AFP  Getty Images

RYAD KRAMDI AFP Getty Images

The US government will continue investigating the murder of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a visit to Hungary on Monday.

Graham said he and Menendez are "going to take appropriate action" to put a bill on the President's desk, and called the murder of Khashoggi "barbaric beyond acceptance".

President Donald Trump, rejecting his own intelligence officials' findings, has apparently chosen to believe MBS' claim that he played no role in the gruesome murder of Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi royal family who was killed after entering a Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018.

The CIA has concluded the Saudi operation was likely directed by the powerful crown prince, but the White House has sidestepped that finding amid strenuous denials by Riyadh, a key United States ally.

Although the White House has sanctioned 17 Saudi individuals for their involvement in the murder, including two top aides to MBS, members of Congress from both parties have called for greater action to be taken against the kingdom and its leaders.

More news: Trump Supporters Form Human ‘Wall’ Along U.S.-Mexico Border
More news: Acting Pentagon chief lands in Afghanistan, supports Kabul role in peace talks
More news: Morning Breaking: Poisonous liquor kills 42 in Uttar Pradesh

"America should never descend to this level of moral bankruptcy", Kaine added.

Jubeir was interviewed Friday, February 8, the same day President Donald Trump ignored a congressional deadline for reporting on who assassinated Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post who had been openly critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. We will hold those responsible accountable and we will punish them.

Some Democrats and Republicans, however, maintain the sanctions, including a ban on travel to the US, are insufficient.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers, including Democratic Sen. "That's what the law says".

Adel al-Jubeir, Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs, said the murder was carried out by Saudi officials "acting outside their scope of authority" and that 11 people have been charged with the crime. He insisted the crown prince had no role in the slaying - that it was a "rogue operation" with no official backing.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.