Jussie Smollett's Phone Records Rejected By Police After Finally Submitting Them

Getty Images

Getty Images

The phone records Jussie Smollett provided to cops to corroborate his version of his alleged attack are "limited and redacted" and insufficient for a criminal investigation, the Chicago Police Department said Tuesday.

Chicago Police investigating the attack on Jussie Smollett last month say the "Empire" actor has turned over some but not all of the phone records that detectives asked him for.

A spokesman said the records he sent "are not sufficient and do not meet the burden of a criminal investigation".

The entire situation involving Jussie Smollett's alleged attack is incredibly freaky.

This totally contradicts the one neighbor who says that she saw a suspicious individual around the building where she and Smollett reside about 90 minutes before the alleged attack.

The 36-year-old handed over his redacted phone records through a PDF file format.

Smollett performed on February 2 for the first time following the alleged attack.

The police claim that Smollett has refused to give over his phone, which impedes their investigation and prompts the police to doubt Smolett's story.

More news: Tsonga ends wait for ATP Tour title
More news: Trump Supporter Attacks Photographer at El Paso Trump Rally
More news: Carragher: Critics harsh on 'remarkable' Liverpool

A spokesperson for Chicago police added that the department was "appreciative" Smollett made a decision to cooperate with the investigation, but they'll likely be asking him for more phone records in order to properly review the case.

Smollett had told police that the attackers - who wore "Make America Great Again" hats and screamed "This is MAGA country!" - had poured an unknown bleach-smelling liquid on him and put a noose around his neck after they yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him at 2 a.m. on January 29.

Smollett declined turning over his phone because he said he couldn't be without it for a few hours, the Post reports. "Both were sent to Chief of Staff to the Superintendent of Police Robert Boik, who confirmed receipt", a spokesperson for the Empire star said in an email reports Page Six.

Police have collected video surveillance footage from cameras in the downtown area and have also extended their search to stores in the area in the hopes of gathering evidence on who might have purchased the rope. I don't believe it, not around here.... Then, hours later, there were two "persons of interest" on video.

"I've been in this neighborhood five years".

Police said staff members of the New York Post found a bottle on the scene, but a police spokesman notes "it's unclear if that is related to the incident as it was not discovered during any of the earlier canvasses".

Fox 32 Chicago's Rafer Weigel reported Monday that the records were "limited and redacted".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.