Philippines recalling ambassador and consuls in Canada over trash shipments

Philippines recalls its envoys in Canada over tons of rotting garbage

Philippines recalls its envoys in Canada over tons of rotting garbage

The Philippines recalled its ambassador and consuls to Canada after Ottawa missed a deadline to take back tons of unwanted trash that has been rotting near Manila for almost six years, the country's foreign secretary said Thursday. The drastic move is the latest strain in Philippine relations with Canada under President Rodrigo Duterte.

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. tweeted that the Philippines "shall maintain a diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until its garbage is ship bound there".

Malacañang on May 7 said the Canadian government has committed to shoulder all the expenses of shipping out all 69 containers dumped in the Philippines in 2013.

In a statement, Canada's foreign ministry said it was "disappointed", but would continue to engage to resolve the issue.

The move is the latest escalation in a long-simmering conflict that has weighed heavily on the relationship between the two countries and that has called into question Canada's pro-environment reputation and its commitments to global treaties. Most of the shipping containers remain in two ports in Manila and northern Subic freeport, sparking protests from environmental activists.

Back in April, the president of the Philippines threatened war with Canada, adding, he would personally escort the containers back to the North American country. "That recall shows that we are very serious in asking to get back their garbage".

More news: Koepka's 63 ties PGA mark, sets course record
More news: New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is running for U.S. president
More news: Five things we learned from Archie's birth certificate

Earlier last month, Mr Duterte strongly criticised Canada, saying it had turned his country into a "dump site". "We'll declare war against them, we can beat them", he said.

This article, Duterte should be president of Canada for things to get done, says presidential spokesman Panelo, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.

"I want a boat prepared", Duterte said at a press conference, tapping a conference table in frustration, before providing suggestions on what Canada might do with the garbage once it arrives. "Eat it if you want to". According to Reynaldo San Juan, the Philippines initially accepted not only Canadian waste: in 2018, about 1,400 tonnes of household waste from South Korea were shipped back to their origin in the wake of a backlash.

A group of officials from both sides "is examining the full spectrum of issues related to the removal of the waste with a view to a timely resolution", the embassy said in a statement.

On June 30, 2016, a Manila court ordered the importers to ship the garbage back to Canada. About a third of all the containers with rotting trash were already disposed in a landfill in Pampanga.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in 2017 that regulations preventing the return of the garbage had been resolved. Last year, Duterte canceled the military's $235-million contract to buy 16 military helicopters from a Canada-based manufacturer after Ottawa put the deal under review because of the President's human rights record.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.