Sudan army and protesters agree on 3-year transitional period

Some roads in Khartoum have been blocked for weeks by protesters

Some roads in Khartoum have been blocked for weeks by protesters

The issue is the thorniest to have come up in ongoing talks on reinstating civilian rule after the generals took over following the ouster of longtime autocratic president Omar Al Bashir last month.

Sudan's military council has said that talks with protesters over installing civilian rule have been suspended for 72 hours.

Sudan's military rulers have suspended talks with protest leaders to form a transitional body as they demanded protesters dismantle barricades set up around the capital, Khartoum.

Wednesday's crucial negotiations are due to start at 9:00 pm (1900 GMT), said Khalid Omar Yousef, a leader from the Alliance for Freedom and Change.

"It ignores the developments achieved in negotiations so far. and the fact that Wednesday's meeting was to finalise the agreement, which would have stopped the escalations such as roadblocks".

A witness told AFP that gunshots had been fired near the protest camp outside army headquarters in central Khartoum.

Protesters said the army aimed to provoke demonstrators.

Another protester, Rayan al-Hadi, 25, said she would follow the instructions of protest leaders if they decided that barriers should be taken down.

The talks that commenced on Monday were marred by violence that left six people dead the same day at the sit-in.

Describing protesters as "increasingly angry", the alliance issued its condemnation after some of the worst violence in weeks in central Khartoum.

More news: Aston Martin details James Bond-inspired DB5 continuation
More news: Rain wipes out Wednesday's play at Italian Open - Italianmedia
More news: Campaigning in WB to end tomorrow after EC's unprecedented action

He said bridges, roads and a railway line had been closed and there was an "infiltration of armed elements among demonstrators who were shooting at security forces".

"People were walking to the barricades and security forces were firing shots at them", a 20-year-old demonstrator, who asked not to be named, said showing bullet casings and referring to road blocks set up by protesters.

However, the council reportedly pledged it would not use force to disperse the protesters.

The United States has consistently called on the military council to transfer power to civilians.

Security forces were seen chasing protesters in downtown Khartoum and removing some roadblocks, an AFP correspondent said.

Weeks of street protests that precipitated the end of Bashir's 30-year rule on April 11 have continued as the opposition demands that the military hand over power to civilians.

They had also agreed that parliament be composed of 300 members for the transition, with around two-thirds from the alliance and the rest drawn from other political groups.

However, the military rulers still appear cagey about surrendering absolute power to the opposition alliance which is demanding a majority in the sovereign council, the citadel of power.

The army generals had initially insisted on a two-year transition period, while the protest leaders wanted four years.

"We vow to our people that the agreement will be completed fully within 24 hours in a way that it meets the people's aspirations", Atta said.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.