A trip to the beach turns deadly after she contracts flesh-eating bacteria

Coquina Beach in Florida where Lynn sustained a cut to her leg that would lead to her death

Coquina Beach in Florida where Lynn sustained a cut to her leg that would lead to her death

Wade Fleming told The Associated Press on Monday that Lynn Fleming, who retired to Florida's Gulf Coast, stumbled and fell into the water on Coquina Beach while her family was visiting from Pittsburgh.

Days later she was rushed to the hospital with necrotizing fasciitis, a rare deadly bacterial infection that kills the body's soft tissue.

Lynn Fleming contracted flesh-eating bacteria while walking on a beach in Florida.

At first Lynn dismissed her injury as a "small cut", but her condition quickly spiralled out of control.

"We love the beach, but I'd like to see some information from the paramedics and lifeguards encouraging immediate treatment for even a small nick if they are swimming, and let people know that, hey, this is a possibility", he said, according to the Miami Herald.

Doctors tried to save her infected leg with multiple surgeries, but there were complications and she died on Thursday after suffering two strokes and sepsis.

More news: Florida Man Drags Deputy With Car In Traffic Stop
More news: Kristaps Porzingis agrees to long-term extension with Mavericks
More news: ‘Russian-made missile’ crashes into northern Cyprus

She was later in so much pain she was unable to walk and was diagnosed with Necrotising Fasciitis.

"I can't believe what happened, everything was very fast", said the dead woman's son Wade. "We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding", he said.

"Was a little hole under the water that she didn't notice".

Speaking to Fox News, Wade said: "It seems like a "Lifetime" movie really". These are all signs of infection of flesh-eating bacteria. A recent study suggests rising ocean temperatures could help the bacteria thrive in waters previously unaffected. "You get the open wound while playing at the beach, watch it, take care of it". However, her family says she was never given antibiotics. She couldn't wait to get down here and retire.

"Unfortunately, it's place that took her life by freak accident".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.