A Florida woman dies after surgeries to cure her flesh-eating bacteria infection

A Florida woman dies after surgeries to cure her flesh-eating bacteria infection

A Florida woman dies after surgeries to cure her flesh-eating bacteria infection

A beachgoing Florida woman has died days after she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through a cut in her leg.

Lynn Fleming was walking along the seafront with her family a fortnight ago when she slipped in a small underwater depression.

Later, Fleming was prescribed antibiotics and given a precautionary tetanus shot. Doctors had to operate upon the infected leg and she suffered two strokes and sepsis while undergoing surgeries.

Wade's wife Traci said that Fleming's death is particularly heartbreaking knowing how much she enjoyed her life in Florida.

The bacteria thrive in warm, salty water, and usually are found in the South. Kylei Brown nearly lost her leg and needs physical therapy to be able to walk again. They treated her as quick as possible, but she unfortunately died days later due to post-surgery complications, according to her family.

"She always wanted to move to Florida, but my dad was semi-retired and he was a charter boat captain", he said.

"She fell into it, came out with a little three-quarter-inch cut; a bump on her leg", her son Wade, who was with her, told Fox13.

Back in April, a man from OH got sick and developed a massive swelling on his left foot after going on a boating trip near Weedon Island. She was then rushed to hospital.

More news: Doha Talks Continue Amid Taliban's Attack In Kabul
More news: Facebook buildings evacuated after mail tests positive for sarin, officials say
More news: Turkey always supports investors: President Erdogan

Her son gave it one more cleaning the next day, put on a a bandage from the first aid kit in his auto and had to get back on the road to Pittsburgh.

The day she scraped her leg she was taking one of her usual walks on the beach.

"Maybe they should consider signs warning people about this at the beach", Fleming said.

A 12-year-old girl from IN visiting Florida IN June with her family also contracted the flesh-eating disease, but she survived.

According to the CDC, necrotizing fasciitis is rare, but people with compromised immune systems have a harder time fighting the infection. She soon developed a fever. People can also contract it if they expose an open wound to sea or brackish water, as in Perez's case.

Adam Perez, 42, contracted vibriosis, a disease caused by the flesh-eating bacteria called Vibrio, after dipping his toes in the sea last week.

Necrotising fasciitis can be caused by group-A streptococci or by staphylococci, common bacteria that live on people's skin and in their noses, according to medical officials.

Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacteria found in warm salty waters such as the Gulf of Mexico and surrounding bays. And get to a doctor immediately if a cut has swelling or redness, since the infection can spread quickly.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.