Chargers experience drama with potential Melvin Gordon holdout

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon might hold out from training camp

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon might hold out from training camp

Given that as a running back this could be Gordon's one big multi-year extension, he doesn't want to risk losing that opportunity - if gets hurt without that safety net, it would likely affect any potential deal in 2020.

Running back Melvin Gordon says he will not report to camp unless he receives a new contract from the Los Angeles Chargers, his agent told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"Unless he has a new deal, Chargers' RB Melvin Gordon will not report to training camp, not when he now is scheduled to be heading into the last year of his contract, a fifth-year option, worth $5.6 million dollars", wrote Schefter.

More news: Australian banks, shops hit by telecoms outage
More news: Trent Boult wants Aussies in final for revenge mission
More news: Lady Gaga becomes the latest celebrity to launch a makeup brand

Chargers training camp opens on July 24.

Gordon previously expressed concern during a mandatory June minicamp that he hadn't yet gotten a new contract completed. He also added 50 catches for 490 receiving yards and another 4 touchdowns through the air. Gordon wouldn't be the first player in National Football League history to hold out or demand a trade, nor will he be the last. "If it's going to happen, it'll happen", he said.

The two-time Pro Bowler has led the Chargers in rushing yards every year since being selected in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Looking at conventional stats, Gordon had 885 rushing yards, averaged 5.1 yards per carry and had 10 rushing touchdowns.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.