Fresh demonstrations held for killed protestors

Sudanese protesters march during a demonstration to commemorate the 40 days anniversary of the sit-in massacre in Khartoum North Sudan

Sudanese protesters march during a demonstration to commemorate the 40 days anniversary of the sit-in massacre in Khartoum North Sudan

"They want to say that the situation in Sudan is very volatile, and that there is a deep state with people capable of staging a military coup, so we should hurry up and sign and leave any points of difference to be discussed later", Abdel Meguid told the Associated Press.

The demonstrations were the first since the ruling military council and civilian opposition agreed in principle to a power-sharing arrangement ahead of elections.

Thousands of Sudanese protesters have poured onto the streets of Khartoum and other cities to mark the 40th day since the deadly dispersal of a sit-in outside the army headquarters that killed more than 100 people.

Police and security forces have attempted to disperse demonstrators using tear gas and firing live ammunition in the air to disperse the protesters. Authorities, however, put the death toll at 61, including three from security forces. "The military council should be held accountable (for) the massacre", said protester Samer Hussein.

Protesters were seen waving Sudanese flags and posters that read: "Freedom, Peace and Justice" and "Civilian (authority) is the people's choice".

In Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman, hundreds demonstrated on al-Arbaeen Street, a major artery. Hundreds more protested in Port Sudan, capital of Red Sea state, and Al-Ubayyid, capital of North Kordofan.

More news: Huawei Chairman Urges US to Remove Company From Entity List
More news: At Vatican, empty tombs add new twist to missing girl mystery
More news: WarnerMedia opts for HBO Max

Rapid support forces are under the command of Mohammed Hamdan Diklu, a well-known representative, who is a representative head of the military.

The announcement of the attempted coup failed after the agreement of the military council and opposition representatives to end the political deadlock in the country.

Lt. Gen. Gamal Omar, a member of Sudan's military council, said the coup attempt took place late Thursday, just days after the military and the pro-democracy coalition had agreed to the joint sovereign council. An 11th seat is to go to a civilian chosen by both sides.

Security forces used barbed wire to block a main road leading to the Defence Ministry compound, the site of the protest camp crushed by security forces on June 3, a Reuters witness said.

The signing ceremony was expected to take place earlier this week, but several delays have been announced, raising suspicions the two parties might still be divided over the agreement's details.

The agreement reportedly stipulates that the new governing body will be presided over by a military nominee for the first 21 months, and the last 18 months by a civilian. Two of the rapid support forces - who took part in the sit-in - said that the command was given to break the sit-in and that the instructions were issued two weeks before the implementation.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.