Norway mosque shooting: Everything we know as shooting probed as terror act

The victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation mosque director Irfan Mushtaq told TV2

The victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation mosque director Irfan Mushtaq told TV2

Police in Norway's capital say the shooting at a mosque that wounded one person is being investigated as an attempted terrorist attack and that the alleged perpetrator is also a murder suspect in a separate case.

The suspect entered the mosque in the affluent Oslo suburb of Baerum armed with at least two weapons and opened fire before being overpowered by a 65-year-old man who suffered minor injuries.

Only three people were inside the al-Noor Islamic Centre at the time of the attack, and police said they recovered two firearms from the scene but did not specify which type.

Oslo Deputy Police Inspector Rune Skjold said during a news conference Sunday that mosque shooting was being treated as an attempted terror attack in part because the investigation uncovered evidence of the man's "right-wing extremist views" and alleged animosity toward immigrants.

Shortly after the attack, the body of his 17-year-old stepsister was found at a house in Baerum.

The man suspected of shooting at people inside a Norwegian mosque, and of killing his stepsister, has appeared in court with black eyes and wounds on his face and neck. He is now suspected in her death but has not been charged.

Shots were fired in the attack, but nobody at the mosque was killed. He was said to be "from the area" where the mosque attack took place, in the town of Baerum. The police on Sunday said the woman was identified as the stepsister of the shooter.

More news: Three officers were shot in California Monday
More news: National Football League addresses Antonio Brown helmet controversy without mentioning star's name
More news: Air Canada ups its bid $200 million for Air Transat purchase

"There is no doubt that the swift and firm response from the persons inside the mosque stopped the aggressor and prevented further consequences", Skjold told the media persons present on the spot.

Prime Minister Erma Solberg said that working against hate speech was a priority.

On Saturday, Norwegian media reported that the suspect was believed to have put up a post to an online forum hours before the attack where he seemingly praised the New Zealand assailant. Rafiq told the press on Sunday: "I'm thankful for all of the help and support I have received".

A witness said of Mr Rafiq: "He is a hero".

According to police, the man refused to answer questions. "I represent the mother of the girl", she said, adding that the girl's mother and Manshaus's father were together, and surrounded by friends helping them cope.

Eight years ago a Norwegian neo-Nazi murdered 77 people, first in Oslo and then at a summer youth camp run by the centre-left on the island of Utoeya.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.