Taliban warn suspended peace talks will only hurt US

Trump cancels meetings with Taliban leaders and Afghanistan’s president

Trump cancels meetings with Taliban leaders and Afghanistan’s president

"Not soldiers or innocent victims of terrorism", said Jim Riches, a retired NY deputy fire chief who responded to the 2001 terror attacks and lost his son, Jimmy, a fellow firefighter.

"His (talks with the Taliban) are over", Trump said at the White House.

Afghanistan's Taliban have condemned US President Donald Trump's decision to suspend peace talks with the group - after they claimed responsibility for an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.

'Over the last four days, we have been hitting our Enemy harder than at any time in the last ten years!,' he wrote in a tweet.

It's probably good news that President Trump smothered his over-the-top-as-usual plan for a summit meeting with the Taliban and the president of Afghanistan at the presidential retreat in Camp David.

The Taliban on Tuesday sought clarification from the U.S. after Washington called off peace negotiations with the Afghan insurgent group following a suicide attack in Kabul that killed 12 people including an American soldier.

According to parts of the draft deal that had been made public, the Pentagon would pull about 5,000 of the roughly 13,000 United States troops from five bases across Afghanistan by early next year.

The Taliban said on Sunday that more American lives would be lost as a result of Trump's decision to cancel talks.

United States has already spent trillions of USA dollars and 2,400 U.S. servicemen have been killed so far since the invasion in Afghanistan, so now it wants to call back its troops.

On Twitter, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack, saying a "martyrdom seeker" - or suicide bomber - had triggered the vehicle bomb and that "foreign invaders" were killed.

More news: Remembering the 9/11 attacks, 18 years later
More news: FDA Raps JUUL on Knuckles for School Talk, Marketing Claims
More news: Meghan Markle cheers on friend Serena Williams in US Open final

Trump, who has said he would like to reduce US troop numbers to about 8,600, addressed promises made since his presidential campaign to leave Afghanistan.

The US has been conducting peace talks with the Taliban and the two sides were hopeful of a deal that included America cutting down on troops in Afghanistan and guarantees by Taliban of not allowing the Afghan soil to be ever used again for terror activities. "They're dead. They're dead. That's not going to happen", McKenzie told reporters. "If you don't talk to them, it's just going to continue".

Three days later, three explosions rocked Kabul, killing dozens of people, including a U.S. soldier.

An unidentified official from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, which maintains a force of about 16,000 troops in Afghanistan, told AFP on September 9 that its focus "remains unchanged" in the wake of Trump's decision to cancel the secret meeting.

He insisted that the militant group had not violated any terms and added that there would be no promises before signing the deal.

Getting out of Afghanistan, where U.S. troops have fought against the Taliban for almost two decades, has been a top priority for Trump and on Monday he reiterated his intention of pulling out "by the earliest possible time".

It is widely thought that Trump has been pushing for a withdrawal of U.S. troops in time for his 2020 reelection bid.

Trump said that he has not discussed the possibility of meeting with the Taliban in the future.

The objective is to make "the Afghan security forces stronger so that they can fight worldwide terrorism and create the conditions for peace", the official said.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.